Reading through divorce papers is not exactly the way you intended to start the new year. The year of 2018, however, is the time when you become part of the divorce statistics in this country.
The latest research indicates that women file for nearly 66% of divorces in America. If you are one of the many men in the country who are facing divorce as this new year begins it is important that you seek the legal advice of someone who can help you understand all of your options. Many friends and family members might be able to offer tips for hiring a divorce lawyer, so it can help to use the resources that you have. It is also important, though, to consult other resources as well.
Without an attorney, you risk the chance of missing out on finding a way to make the best of a very difficult situation. Whether you are looking for uncontested divorce lawyers who are experienced with those kinds of cases or you are looking for help with understanding the ins and out of child custody cases, getting the legal advice that you need sooner rather than later is always a good decision.
Consider some of these statistics about divorce in America and the reasons that many people find themselves looking for legal advice:
- The issue was resolved in 5% of custody cases after a custody evaluation.
- The majority of custody decisions require the involvement of a third party decision. In fact, only 29% of custody cases reach a decision without any third party involvement.
- Infidelity is the leading cause of divorce, according to a study published in the Journal of Family Issues. In fact, 21.6% of respondents indicate that infidelity ended their marriage.
- Couples therapists indicate that 50% of their therapy caseload is due to infidelity, according to the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT).
- There is an average of a zero to six month waiting period after the initial divorce petition is filed and served on the other spouse before a divorce becomes final.
- Research indicates that there are some indicators about whether or not a marriage will work. Couples who dated for at least three years before their engagement, for instance, were 39% less likely to get divorced than couples who dated less than a year before getting engaged.
If you find yourself facing divorce papers this new year, finding an attorney who can help you navigate the process that may seem foreign to you, but is familiar to those who deal with divorces every day. Divorce papers signal a major transition in life and it is a transition to face alone, without a lawyer.