If you are in jail, you definitely want to get out as quickly as you can. This often means going to a bail bond company for help. If you think that you will never be in the position to need such services, you may want to rethink that.
Studies now show that at least 52% of all American men will find themselves under arrest at least once in their lives. The journal Pediatrics published a report in 2011 showing that one in three people in the United States will be arrested at least once before they reach the age of 23. From 1998 through 2006, the number of people who had to turn to friends or family to borrow money for their bail bonds went up by 30%. There were 12 million people processed by American jails between 2010 and 2012. Moreover, at any given time, at least 60% of the people in jail have yet to be convicted of anything. They are there because they either do have a bond or they cannot afford to pay the bail bond company.
- If you are in need of the services from a bail bond company, you are not having a great day. There are things you should do:
- Call your family or friends for help. If you have someone or some people that you can trust and who will help you find a bail bond company, you should reach out to them as soon as you can. When you are first arrested and brought to the jail, you will be given access to a phone to make a free phone call. If they do not know where to look for a bail bond company, they can look in a phone book or online.
- There are some things you should have them ask. If you are a student, in the military, are a veteran or if this is your first time in trouble with the law, the bail bond company may have deals they can offer you. In some circumstances, the fees you pay to the bail bond company can be deducted from your legal fees. They may also offer payment plans. Many bail bondsman companies will require you to put down half of the bond amount and then let you pay the rest in installments. You will have to check in with the bail bond company so you should ask about the options to do that by phone or ask if you have to go into the office.
- Some of the bail bonds companies offer additional services. They may speak languages other than English. Ask about those if they are needed in your case.
- Do not expect the bail bond service to be able to reduce the amount you will have to pay. Bail bonds are not set by the bail bond agency. These are set by law. This differs from state to state but your bail bond company has no control over what you are charged to get out of jail.
- If you are going anywhere or will not be in court when you are supposed to be, let the bail bond company know. It does not matter what your reason is, it can be very valid or it can be crap, you need to communicate with the bail bond company. They may be able to help you but will not be in any position to do that if they are kept in the dark. If your appendix ruptures the morning of your court date, have someone call the bail bond company, for instance.
- Why do you need bail?andnbsp;You may wonder if it makes sense at all to post your bond, can you just ride it out? Yes and no. People may tell you that you can do just as good of a job defending yourself in jail as you can from home. If you have a bond and can afford to pay the bail bond company, you need to get yourself out of jail as quickly as you possibly can.
Being arrested and needing to bail yourself out is a horribly stressful and upsetting experience. It feels like the end of the world but it isn’t.